Sunday, January 10, 2010

Sting's new album

I don't think I am quite finished with Christmas music. I have even checked out the half price albums at Target. I look for Christmas music I have never heard before. If the playlist includes "Little Drummer Boy" or "The Christmas Song", it is a definite no. I really don't think Carrie Underwood will bring anything new to table.

Sting is another story. He never does anything conventional, and his winter album is no exception. If you are thinking Bing Crosby, save your money. Sting uses original and traditional songs from the British Isles with contemporary and traditional instruments to create a real mix of Christmas and winter related tunes. Lute, hurdy-gurdy, and melodion are just a few of the unusual instruments.

There are times I think he's trying too hard to be different, but several of the songs, especially "The Burning Babe", are really interesting. There are also times when he tries too hard for a vocal effect I can't quite describe, and don't like. Overall, I am glad to add it to my library.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F8WiHEhDVY

No comments:

Post a Comment