Thursday, March 4, 2010

A Long Winter

Winter just doesn't seem to want to relinquish its grasp on us here in these beautiful mountians. Carter County Schools have exceeded their snow days by eleven (so far). I have to admit, though, that I have enjoyed this winter. Having spent my childhood in Illinois, 60 or 70 degree days in the winter never did make sense to me.

This winter has been a gift of sorts. My job affords me the luxury of not having to go anywhere when the weather is bad. I had time to do things I like to do - cook, sew, play my guitar. I like my job, but I have loved having this unexpected time to rest and restore.

I am well aware of the fact that I'll have to work some days into what would have been my summer, but it will be easier to get up and leave the house on a sunny day in May than it would have on a snowy January or February morning. I realize, too, that educationally this is not the best scenario for my students, but nothing I could have done would have changed the weather. We'll work hard, and we'll get back on track. So I accept this time as a gift and look forward to next winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment